10.11.2009

Happy Halloween Happenings

Hello all,
This weekend I ventured out with my delightul sis and sisterlike, life long friend Jinny! We took on Scarecrow Fest in St. Charles Il.
What a day! While most of the folks were flocking to the usual pumpkin scarecrow display... adorned with the same cliche owls, scary guys, and John Deere displays.... We were wondering Century Corners. A darling little... off the beaten path and oft forgotten area in St. Charles. Bounded on the South by RT. 64 or North Avenue and on the East by RT. 25, this little sparkling jewel of an area, features several darling shops and creative shop owners.
Townhouse books, for example ( reminds me of "you've got mail" or a little bookstore in downtown Estes park, CO ... or the little one I found while in Moab, Utah this summer), a staple for many years, and hopefully many more to come! This quaint little spot has some wonderful offerings. I found a cool little packet of "walking tours" for Chicago... 50 little cards contained in one little box. Grab a card and head downtown for your own guided tour. What a cute place to linger and hopefully purchase something... please keep this local shop in business!
Attached to that is a nice little cafe, restaurant...ok... I have to admit we didn't stay for lunch... because the place was packed and the wait was long... ( good for them) and we had some shopping to do. A darling shop that we were not able to make time for this visit, called panache, sits just up the hill from most of the frey.

We then headed outside to the vendors on the street. Croissants, soaps, bittersweet and a wonderful potter who does other creative crafts as well... she too, was a talent! (tapestries of nature, mary la frenz of princeton, IL) I wanted to turn her on to etsy...but she doesn't have a computer! I wonder just how many talented folks there are in this world who have no way of reaching international audiences... from a venue like ETSY! What a shame... I hope to run into her again sometime!
We headed to the little sale "barn" where I found something I am sure I can't live without ( I may have to head back this week if it is still there... to purchase it... i am not telling what it is... I don't want you to snatch it up...but if you do... your car better be big... cause it is!)
Along the way I collected leaves made by nature... :) to add to my mantel!
( photo above)

We stopped in an antiques shop (The Glos House) that sits across from the stone house, The gal there is SUPER talented and has a wonderful eye for all things vintage.

I bought a vintage red leather chair with brass tacks that was adorned with vintage cotton flour cloths.... I just love it. How fresh looking! ($20.00) and a wonderful EauClaire Wisconsin shop sign, complete with hooks to hang your hat or jewelry or just about anything else you may find. She painted the top board with chalkboard paint! (how useful) Now I can leave notes for everyone! I wanted to buy everything in the place, because her prices are CRAZY reasonable! I stopped myself... but my sister bought a little vintage pillow that was made from an old needlepoint piece that was exactly like my grandma Stewart used to house on her 3rd floor in Narberth! Les just had to have it!!! What great memories of our childhood!




Off to the cliche craft show. Much smaller than in years past. I am sure the economy has gotten to the little festivals too! Lots of junk vendors, doors, window, siding, dips... dips, dips... 2 vendors selling the same DIP...yuck!!! ( don't ever double dip please!)
Some talents in the crowd included a woman who makes her own paintings
(stenciled) on canvas and she adds a bit of glitz... making just the cutest artwork. www.momsenterprises.com
Last year her things were flying out of the booth...this year with the cold, she was the only one in the booth ! My how times change! I hope she did well. Click on her link to find her cute things!
The other favorite booth was Jewels by Jay. Original knitwear & Accessories. I loved her neck warmers with buttons...they doubled as head wraps...SO CUTE! Great chunky yarns and vintage buttons.
In all, it was a wonderful day. Capped off with seeing this darling Halloween Home!
Enjoy your day in the country this fall and be sure to share some business with the small, local shops. They need your business to stay afloat in this economy
check out the 3/50 site for more details!
Open 7 days a week. Please call for hours.
One block east of the Fox River, in St. Charles, Illinois.
One block north of Route 64.


1 comment:

  1. Martha, what wonderful treats you've shared with us! You found some great goodies for yourself, too, from the looks of things. I'm so glad you've been able to get back to blogging again, and I can't wait to check out the Etsy shops for some of your new vintage treasures and wonderful artwork! --Aimee

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! So glad you stopped by!