5.26.2012

Memorial Day Weekend! Let the BBQ begin!

Ok, So it has been YEARS since we entertained family.   Last week my sister called and said  "what are you doing for Memorial Day weekend?"  I paused a moment, looked at my husband, my eyes darted about the house... not seeing too much of a mess to tidy... I said "we are having a BBQ... Can you make it?"
Yes!

 So now the plans begin.

I headed off to my little cookbook, you know, the one that includes all of my favorite recipes... and I mean all of them, and even parts of them... by that I mean... the pages have been spilled on, flour or puff pastry found its way to the pages, cookie dough, oil stains and more ( all wiped off of course, but the sign of a well loved and used cookbook!)



I remembered Mrs B's Ceasar Salad recipe.  This is one that she would prepare every New Year's Eve, when she pulled together the fondue.  I love to make it in the Summertime!

1/3 Cup Oil ( Extra Virgin Olive of salad oil)
1/2 Clove Garlic
1 Raw Egg ( I break it into a little bowl and pop it into the micro for about 10 sec. so it is warm but not cooked)
1/2 teaspoon Salt
Dash of Pepper
1/2 teaspoon Worchestershire
1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
Grated Parmesean Cheese ( fresh is best)
Croutons
Romaine lettuce

In a wooden bowl Rub the sides with garlic.  Place the oil and Garlic in the bottom of the bowl to season it.
Just before serving, add the next 5 ingredients to the oil.  Whisk until it looks like dressing.
Wash,  Rinse and Hand tear the Romaine lettuce.  Add it to the dressing and Toss
 Add Croutons and Parmesean Cheese.
  Your family will love it... guaranteed!



Then I was thinking about the old Jello and Pretzel dessert.  I quickly turned to my handy dandy floral recipe book and all I had ever written was "Jello + Pretzels"  "crushed pretzels, sugar, butter"... Gee, I thought, that will be helpful!  I logged into my computer to pull it up.. and finally found it!  I plan to serve it with a dollup of Whip Cream on top with some blueberries sprinkled on that... for the Red, White and Blue... "Martha" effect!


STRAWBERRY-PRETZEL DESSERT

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2 c. crushed pretzels
3/4 c. melted butter
3 tbsp. sugar
1 (8 oz.) cream cheese, room temp.
1 c. sugar
1 lg. Cool Whip
1 (6 oz.) box strawberry gelatin
2 c. boiling water
2 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen strawberries, including juice (fresh berries slightly mashed and sweetened may be used)

Mix crushed pretzels, butter and sugar and pour into a 9 x 13 pan. Press into the bottom and bake at 400 degrees for 8 minutes. Beat the cream cheese with 1 cup sugar. Stir into the Cool Whip. Spread on cooled pretzel crust.Mix together the gelatin, boiling water and frozen strawberries. Let set in refrigerator until it begins to jell. Pour over cheese mixture and refrigerate several hours or overnight. This can be served as a salad or a dessert.

What are the most often used recipes in YOUR cookbook?
     I hope you will blog about them and leave a link below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! So glad you stopped by!